Chickpea Butternut Squash Stew
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut into 1 1/2-inch irregularly shaped pieces (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 8 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch cubes or irregular shapes
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (either from dry beans or from two 15-ounce cans)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons Harissa, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss well and roast until golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes.
- In a large skillet or pot, warm remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cumin, and paprika, and cook for 1 minute. Add carrots and 1 cup chickpea cooking liquid (or water, if using canned chickpeas) to onion mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Raise heat to medium-high and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in harissa paste, roasted squash, and remaining 1/2 cup chickpea cooking liquid (or water). Simmer, uncovered, until flavors meld, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.